Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wheat Sooji Dosai (Gothumai Rava Dosai)


The only place I have had Gothumai (Wheat) Dosai is at my grand parent's place. Summer vacations at grand parent's place usually meant a lot of cousins and aunts around. We used to have gothumai dosai many a times for dinner. The main reason being by the time night rolled around, the dosa batter was almost gone and the women in the house had to come up with creative ways to stretch the batter to fill up the growling stomachs of the kids. My grandfather was a diabetic, so it was also thought gothumai dosai was a better substitute instead of idlis/regular dosais for him.

Coming back to the present, I came back from office today and was very hungry. I wanted some easy tiffin kind of food and was not in the mood for rice or chapathi. When I was rummaging through my pantry shelf, I could find only half a pack of Gits Rava Dosa mix and nothing else with which I could come up with something in a jiffy.

Half a pack of Rava dosa mix was not going to be enough for dinner for both of us. I was thinking about what I could do, when my eyes caught a pack of unused atta. I had bought this pack of atta with the hopes of making home made rotis, but that hope remains a hope, as I keep going back to the convenience of store bought readymade rotis. Looking at the only few options I had, I decided I could possibly make gothumai rava dosa.


I remebered bits and pieces of how to make gothumai dosai from my grandmother’s place, but did not want to make mistakes while getting the batter ready as these dosais turn out little sticky and gooey. Anyway did a google search and Mahanandi Indira’s Gothumai Dosai caught my eye.


This very easy recipie goes like this:

½ cup of rava dosa mix
(If you use regular rava, you would have to soak it for 15-20 mins and then mix wheat flour)
½- ¾ cup of wheat flour
Salt


Since gothumai dosai is little bland for my taste, decided to throw in:

A pinch of Heeng
¼ inch finely chopped ginger
1 green chilly finely chopped
Corinader/curry leaves finely chopped
Water


The batter needs to little watery than regular dosa batter but not too watery either. Mix everything together and let it stand for about 5-10 minutes. In the meantime whipped up quick onion+ginger chutney to go with the dosa. More on that later.

Since this dosai tends to get a little sticky, scatter little bit of chopped onion on the tava, wait for a few seconds, then pour the batter. (Picked up this tip from Sanjay Thumma’s rava dosa video). Spread the batter around and add oil around the edges. It is not very easy to spread the gothumai dosai batter as Indira notes in her recipie. I guess the rava in my batter and the onions on the tava helped a bit and made it easier. This dosa however requires little more oil than regular dosa

Verdict: I enjoyed it and my husband also liked it very much. Had to literally grab the last dosa from him for a picture for posting on this blog. The picture looks bad though :(

Since I used up ingredients from my pantry shelf for this recipie and was inspired by Indira’s recipe, sending it out to Nupur’s “What’s Lurking in Your Kitchen

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the entry. Like you , I buy atta but rarely make rotis at home.

    ReplyDelete